Libris, RITA award finalists
Today, Canadian Booksellers Association (CBA) announced the nominees for the 2010 CBA Libris Awards. No surprises in the young reader’s category. Voters have three fantastic Canadian YA books to choose from:
YOUNG READERS’ BOOK OF THE YEAR
- The Awakening, by Kelley Armstrong (Doubleday Canada)
- The Uninvited, by Tim Wynne-Jones (Candlewick Press; distributed by Random House Canada)
- Vanishing Girl: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Third Case, by Shane Peacock (Tundra Books)
The Libris award winners will be announced May 29th.
In other YA awards news, the 2010 Romance Writers of America‘s RITA award finalists have been announced. The long list of finalists in the YA category are:
- Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog (Random House Group, Delacorte Press)
- Don’t Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter (Hyperion Books for Children)
- Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (Walker Books for Young Readers)
- Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols (Simon & Schuster, Pocket Books, MTV Books)
- The ABC’s of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro (Random House Group, Delacorte Press)
- Nothing Like You by Lauren Strasnick (Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing)
To be honest, I’m not familiar with any of the RITA finalists, which makes me wonder if I’m completely out of touch with the YA scene these days. More titles to add to my TBR list!
I am oh-so-close to being finished library school. Shortly after the end of classes, I’ll be heading to Costa Rica for the last half of April with the UWO committee of Librarians Without Borders. We’re going to be building a library for the small village of El Humo. It’s been a ton of work to prepare for (one of the major reasons I’ve been neglecting my blog) but I’m thrilled to see it all coming together!