YA Roundup (5)
Lots of links to share this week.
- GreenBeanTeenQueen posted notes from her MLA session on What’s Hot in YA Fiction and Non-Fiction. A great list of books to read and blogs to visit—including this one.🙂
- The Hunger Games: How Reality TV explains the YA sensation. EW’s Shelf Life blog examines some of the many reality show tropes in the Hunger Games.
- Vampire Books May be Altering Teen Minds. This one’s a few weeks old now but still worth sharing. LiveScience.com reports that books like Twilight could be affecting the teenage brain in ways scientists don’t yet understand.
- Indigo Teen Read Awards: A Teen’s Perspective. Liz at Midnight Blooms writes about her experience attending the awards ceremony and After Party.
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Books For Teenage Boys. GuysLit Wire responds to Maureen Johnson’s post on teenage boys and reading. Fascinating discussion.
Over the past week, many bloggers have weighed in on the recent GLBT-related teen suicides in the U.S. Here are a few posts which offer advice on how libraries can help GLBT teens.
- Recent GLBT Teen Tragedies-What Can We Do?
- Being Visibly Queer-Friendly: Please Consider It
- GLBT teens need positive adult role models
All of these posts mention online initiatives inspired by these recent tragedies, including Ellen Degeneres’ powerful YouTube video on bullying and the It Gets Better and Make It Better video campaigns.